Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Weekly Challenge: Day 3

Man, today was a challenge indeed. First off, I had a huge hankering for a Starbucks Java Chip Frapuccino Light (my favorite!). But I promised myself that if I did cheat, it would not be for a coffee. So instead, I drove past that Drive-Thru Starbuck's (can you believe there's actually a Drive-Thru Starbucks right down the street from me?). Ahhh...the cruelty.

And then by evening, I really wanted to cook (I love to cook). And to me, cooking means picking out a fun recipe, going to the store, buying specific items for my specific recipe. Many of the ingredients will be half-used and later go to waste. I really, really wanted to go buy food. But instead I somehow pushed through it (I probably wouldn't have except that I'd have to tote a baby and a kid with me and I decided at the end I was just too lazy to do that). I had just picked vegetables from my garden this morning an d happened to have my first two tomatoes ripened on the vine. I picked them and wondered what to do with just two. I decided to use them to make an incredibly easy homemade pasta sauce. See recipes below!

Breakfast: Two slices of whole wheat bread with homemade blackberry jam. Seriously good.

Lunch: Chicken sausage, grilled garden veggies.

Dinner: Pasta with homemade sauce, grilled garden veggies. Dessert: peaches with whipped cream (I made the whipped cream by whipping some organic cream I had in the refrigerator and adding sugar to taste).

Recipes
:

Grilled Garden Veggies
2 zucchini, cut into diagonal strips appx 1/4" thick.
3 yellow onions cut into 1/2" thick rounds
2-3 sweet peppers, red, yellow or orange. Cut into 1" thick strips

Toss with olive oil and kosher salt and grill (I use a raclette to grill my veggies unless my hubby is actually cooking an entire meal on the grill -- he's the grill guy).

Light, East Tomato Sauce
2 large tomatoes (3/4 - 1 lb ea.)cut into 1/2 inch cubes
2-3 cloves of garlic sliced
2 - 3 basil leaves sliced into thin strips
1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Use a bit of the olive oil to saute the garlic for a minute or so. Add tomatoes and saute with garlic for about 3-5 minutes. Throw all of this into a mixing bowl and add the remainder of the olive oil into the bowl, as well as the basil and salt and pepper to taste. Throw in cooked pasta (angel hair is great) and mix everything together. You can also grate some fresh Parmesan cheese onto the dish.

1 comments:

The Top Celebrities Trends said...

"Thanks for sharing. I found a lot of interesting information here. A really good post, very thankful and hopeful that you will write many more posts like this one. ecelebrithytrend privies all kind of famous celebrity , height,weight, net worth
age, biography, and all interesting facts."

Post a Comment