Sunday, July 5, 2009

Weekly Challenge: Buy No Food!

A while back my husband and I tracked our spending for a month - every single penny spent was tracker. Where the heck did our money go? In my case...it was food. Note that I'm the one who does the grocery shopping in the house. But I also love cooking, so I find myself wanting to make a butternut squash lasagna one day and the next thing you know, I am heading to the store to buy 8 ingredients I didn't happen to buy on my weekly shopping expedition. And of course my husband, who loves my cooking, doesn't bring the leftovers to work for lunch. And thus...I spend ridiculous amounts of money on food, half of which goes to waste.

So I decided to challenge myself this week, starting today and ending Sunday, July 12, to make meals from what I have in the house. I won't go grocery shopping or eat out during this week. Each day I will log what I was able to make from ingredients already in my house. I hope this experience will not only help me to save money, but also learn to mix things up in terms of my meals, and better appreciate food, thus using the food rather than allowing it to go to waste.

0 comments:

Post a Comment